Genealogy: The "Hip" Factor

Has anyone else noticed how "hip" genealogy is lately? The celebs are all over it, the new FamilySearch.org site got a sleek makeover, and Season 2 of The Generations Project features some really interesting stories. What's going to be cool next, canning?

(Oh, wait. It is.)

No doubt about it, genealogy is going artsy.

For instance, a quick look on etsy.com (an online flea market/craft bazaar) shows you just how cool family history has become, especially in the gift/design/home decor world.

Like this interesting typographical take on a family tree (customized version available here):


                    

























                       Is your family more of the whimsical type? You can get a family portrait in Russian Doll format:





























Silhouetting is big lately, and now you can get custom silhouettes made of your family members for about $15 bucks each. Might make a great Mother's day gift?
































This 3-D family portrait takes the cake for originality. And tangibility. Plus little kids will love these. Love to chew on them, that is. And probably throw them when they're mad at you. Ah, families.

































And best of all, here's a cute customizable family tree that's free! There are a few cool designs to pick from and you can share it on your blog or Facebook page, or print it off and frame it.








































Which of these would you love to put in your house or on your wall?

Also, what other "old-fashioned" pastimes do you predict will come into vogue again?

2 comments:

Anonymous | May 2, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Outside of the Church, The Hip Factor is gearing up full steam. It is no surprise that movie stars, or other well known celebrities, are going top draw people to the show.

I'd love to be flown to several foreign countries and have someone already have identified many of my family lines for me. My hearts delight would be spending time in Georgia and the Carolinas, to have my Cherokee ancestors handed to me; then I know I could provide a college education for my granddaughter and she would never go without health care.
I am also Sioux; so I have the richest and the poorest Native bloodlines.

Bringing celebrities in to the Generations Project or Who Are You? and using them to raise interests in genealogy and incrasing tv raitings doesnt' surprise me.

What does surprise me is the number of programs on BYUtv today that are simple reality shows; this is very disappointing to me. What was the purpose of Marakesh? I felt humiliated about the interactions these tri-athletes had with the Indian people in Marakesh.

Why would I need to post this on any additional web-sites; this is the one I am reponding to. So I'll have to choose Anonymous. ~ Eternal Endurance ~

Anonymous | May 10, 2011 at 11:03 AM

I'm hoping the new interest in genealogy will open the public doors to some previously closed repositories, perhaps create additional funding for projects and at the very least encourage people to respect/protect old records. The backlash would be repositories getting overwhelmed with requests for info and becoming less than friendly/helpful... We can only hope this new trend is a beneficial one!

Post a Comment