Best Movies About Family?

Perhaps no art form can capture the complexity of family dynamics more than film.

This was the first thought that occurred to me after I watched the 1991 remake of Father of the Bride. It's a great example of the hilarity and insanity that runs wild within the family unit. It's also a very touching film at its core. (Rated PG)






























It also got me thinking about other movies I've enjoyed that explore these odd little units we call families.

A quick google search pulls up many movies classified as "family relationship" movies.

The Parent Trap
The Incredibles
The Godfather
Hamlet
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Finding Nemo


and so on.

Why do you suppose there are so many movies about family? What makes them resonate with us? Why do we love so many of them?

Here are some I love:

In America
The Sound of Music
The Incredibles
Kramer vs Kramer
The Lion King

What are your favorite family-centric films?


1 comments:

Thomas MacEntee | September 2, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Must be a generation gap here. Now, I don't remember these movies when they came out (I am not that old, but these are classics about family:

Cheaper By The Dozen
Father of the Bride
The Best Years of Our Lives

Post a Comment