"Why didn't I hear about this show before?"

Ever been to the National Genealogy Society annual conference in Salt Lake City? It's pretty interesting.

I was just there a few weeks ago to help spread the word about The Generations Project. We had a really cool booth set up which stood out pretty well among the rest. Maybe because it looked like we had ripped out a section of Ikea.


I went to the conference with three main goals in mind.
1. Increase awareness of the show
2. Find genealogists who specialize in niche areas and are interested in doing research for our show
3. Find cool stories for upcoming episodes

The four-day event really was fun and I loved talking to people from all over the world, even if some of them just stopped by to take a free truffle. (We were told several times we had the best chocolates at the whole conference. It really wasn't hard competing against the generic miniature candy bars. But thank you.)

"Why didn't I hear about this show before?"
Was the question I heard again and again from the hundreds of people we talked to.

Many were already fans of NBC's new show, Who Do You Think You Are but never knew there was a show that takes your average everyday person on a genealogical journey. They would say, "It's fun seeing celebrities, but we want to see people like you and me." Everyone was excited to hear they could even apply to be on the show. (Here's how - http://www.byutv.org/thegenerationsproject/yourstory/). I got to hear several cool stories and often found myself saying, "that's a great story, you need to fill out an application."

Overall it was a great experience and we informed a lot of people about the show. However, we still need to get the word out about this great new TV series. What do you think we can do to better spread the word?

5 comments:

Anonymous | May 25, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Maybe more commercials and billboards in big cities!

Anonymous | May 25, 2010 at 2:51 PM

I would love to know if I can get your show on television here in Boston, Massachusetts. I can only find you on the internet. I'd prefer tv if I can get it. I'm sure others wonder about their area.

Anonymous | May 25, 2010 at 2:52 PM

What channel are you on in Boston, Massachusetts? I'm sure other areas want to know too.

Becky Thompson | May 25, 2010 at 8:05 PM

I loved your booth at NGS and yes, the truffles were excellent. By offering a free DVD of one of your episodes, you got 2 more families as fans! We were staying with relatives while in Salt Lake City and they became fans after they watched the episode. It just takes a lot of people spreading the word regularly. I posted it on my Facebook status every week to remind people. I hope all your fans will do the same. It's the best program on TV!

Adrienne | May 26, 2010 at 9:16 AM

@anonymous - I'm almost positive you can watch BYUtv in Boston. You can find more details about getting BYUtv into your home here: http://byutv.org/about/getbyu

Thanks for watching!

Post a Comment